VirtualJaguarX für die Xbox

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• VirtualJaguarX für die Xbox

Vor ein paar Tagen ist mit VirtualJaguarX v0.9 ein neuer Jaguar-Emulator für die alte Xbox erschienen.

Was soll ich sagen, er ist noch sehr rudimentär, nur wenige Spiele laufen gut, viele laden noch garnicht; aber es ist ein Schritt in die richtige Richtung.
      Den Ton sollte man in aller Regel deaktivieren, der kostet zuviele Ressourcen und ist auch nicht gut; nur NBA Jam läuft nicht, wenn der Ton deaktiviert ist.

Generell spielbar:

Rayman
      Flashback
      Zool 2
      Cannon Fodder
      Sensible Soccer
      Raiden
      Double Dragon V

Laufen, aber noch ziemlich langsam (Frameskip nötig):

Alien vs Predator
      Pitfall
      Dragon
      Atari Karts
      Bubsy

Ich habe auch Kasumi Ninja und Iron Soldier 2 ausprobiert; Kasumi wird sicher irgendwann funzen, ich komme im Moment bis in den Kampf, aber die "Round 1" Schrift verschwindet nicht, und somit stehen sich die Kämpfer nur ewig gegenüber. Bei Iron Soldier 2 gehts bis ins Menü.

Die Reboot-Spiele laufen leider allesamt garnicht da werde ich mal die Jungs fragen müssen ob das nur ne kleine Unverträglichkeit mit dem Emu ist die man vielleicht einfach beheben kann; so ressourcenhungrig sollten die Spiele ja nicht sein, ich könnte mir vorstellen dass gerade die gut auf der Xbox laufen könnten. :)
      Bluntman3000: "bin in mpnchtennünchrn"
    • CD-i schrieb:

Glaube nicht, dass der emu mal flüssig läuft. Virtual Jaguar ist auf eine mehrkern CPU ausgelegt.

It's actually based on a very old version (0.9) so the recent multi-thread stuff doesn't apply. Considering the xbox is only a low-clocked P3 with something like a higher-end Geforece3, it's good the emu works as well as it does with this early port - anything that spreads the news about the Jaguar, particularly more recent developments, is a good thing :)

I'll see if we can get those Reboot games working with it, thanks for the tip 108stars ;)
    • CD-i schrieb:

yeah, but the old versions without multi-thread stuff were a pain to use with nearly all games besides some homebrews... so i don't see much hope for the xbox version ^^

Maybe not, I'm trying to be positive though ;) A more 'hacky' approach with fixes and botches for certain games might be the best way to go with limited hardware such as the xbox, I don't know... it worked well for our NES & GB emulation on the Falcon, stripping as much of the emulation out that was not being used and putting each game out as a separate stand alone with new mod music, trainers and jagpad support etc., but that's taking things even further, and leads to great suggestions such as "why not allow users to choose a ROM and be able to play all games?" lol... because it'd run slower than a very slow thing ;)
    • I see it like this: it will probably never be a full-speed Jaguar emulator. But the list of games it does support is impressive already, those games run at a playable speed. The others listed are playable if you activate a frameskip (haven't tested all myself, but this is what the FAQ says). If it can be tweaked some more we will have a pretty decent emulator for over a dozen of Jaguar-games, plus homebrews.

speed hacks and stuff for certain games can improve it even further; and in the end we might have some of the top games nicely emulated on Xbox.

I have quite a bit of hope for this, because even if it only plays 15 official games in the end I'd call it a success. And if homebrews work with it, this might be a way for people like me without Skunkboard or Jag CD to try out new releases. A worthy project imo. :)
    • Not the same. My PC is at a desk; I know some people have it hooked up to HDTVs and stuff, but I think most people still have their PC at a desk, with the monitor just before your eyes.

The Jaguar is a console and should be enjoyed as such; I absolutely don't like to play on PC, it's uncomfortable to me and just kills a lot of the fun. A game I could play hours on a console I will turn off after 30 minutes on PC. Since I have my Xbox I do all my emulation there, and unlike on PC where I really just started a game and looked into it a bit to take some screenshots for TheLegacy on Xbox I actually play them for real and have fun.

Having reboot's stuff run on VirtualJaguarX would finally let me enjoy the games fully instead of just giving me the sneak preview I get when trying them on PC. :)