Degz [Jaguar / Reboot] feat. NYANCAT!

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Degz [Jaguar / Reboot] feat. NYANCAT!

In 5 Tagen wir das neue Reboot-Game für Jaguar "Degz" releast. Vorab gibts einen Teaser zu einem Easteregg im Game, feat. einem Internetphänomen überhaupt - Nyancat :lol:

viel Spaß beim awesome Trailer :D

"I'm Special Agent Francis York Morgan, but please call me York, that's what everyone does..."

{O,o}
      /)__)
      --"-"--
      uhu.webcam.pixtura.de/ Eulen-Live Cam!

youtube.com/oxcellent Meine Retro-Video-Reviews
    • Sieht sehr gut aus , ich hoffe nur nicht mit der Musik ;)

Ich finde die Idee alte Spiele etwas aufpoliert auf den Jag zu spielen Super.

Mal sehen wie das Game fertig aussieht, bis jetzt sind die Reboot Sachen alle 1A gewesen .
    • Hello, sorry this is in English and that my German/google translate isn't nearly good enough to understand the above very well ;(

Thanks to CD-i for posting the easter egg teaser here and for the guys who posted their thoughts.

Anyway, i feel a bit of info is required and I also feel a little sermon coming on... but DON'T PANIC! :D

Yes, the game is a reboot of Scramble, the Konami/Stern game from 1981 (12 years older than our kitty), the first ever forced side-scroller with levels. The video above is the secret easter egg mode we added for fun. Below is a video of the actual game. Code by CJ (using the Raptor game dev engine and u-235 sound engine), music by Nils Feske (505, writen for this game - thanks, Nils!) and gfx by myself.

A little background info, some of this is duplicated from the info part of the above video, but anyway: Pac man Plus made the game for the 7800. When we saw that, Cyrano Jones contacted him to say "well done" and to tell him he fancied the idea of making the Jaguar do a version. They discussed a few things and CJ got to work, armed with Bob's information & some files from the arcade game Bob supplied. CJ picked this because he knew it was small enough to work on in his limited amount of free time (and also the fact that his Jaguar is put away in a box for moving house so he used Virtual Jaguar to write it!).

I'll comment on the 'jaguar pushing'-type comments now. Something I've been meaning to write about for a while, and will probably expand upon in future for a Reboot website feature. Don't worry, this isn't going to be drama nonsense, just a view of things from our perspective:

Some people enjoy making games. Some people enjoy technical challenges. Usually, the two types of people are not one and the same. Occasionally a John Carmack appears who can wear both hats. I'm not sure there are many who excel in both areas to such an extent working on 20 year old hardware ;) But technical programming feats, game designers, artists, musicians - all very different disciplines. OK...

Degz and HMSR are quick games that will teach people how to make use of RaptoR and how to have it work in a way that it improves productivity. They were also fun to make & are fun to play, if you are, like the members of Reboot, gamers who have been playing since the 80s & love their oldskool Atari fun! \o/

Now, some people are more impressed by fancy 20fps 3d than 60fps action 2d... each to their own. There is nothing magical or mystic about 3d in games as those without any technical background often assume... but yes, there is often a layer more complexity in some areas. We don't do 3d simply because we didn't grow up loving 3d and aren't tricked into thinking it's better by default.

Degz is not intended to push the Jaguar to any limits, but to a large extent neither is RaptoR itself - by its very nature it is a group of general purpose routines that have a wide-scope and high level of reusability - that's the idea behind making game development libraries and doing so in a way that makes them useful to others - to prevent coders from having to reinvent the wheel every game you make and to allow you to concentrate on gameplay aspects and creativity vs. technical problems and hassles. You don't create very targeted routines that will be hard to adapt or probably never used again unless there is something that a specific game requires - and then that's a call the team have to make - invest the time & effort or not. Saying that, it's not that RaptoR isn't powerful (our 'real' side-scrolling shooter we are working on will prove that :) ) Its power lies in its flexibility and ability to let us get on with making the game, not making the foundations for a game and making a game 2 years or more from now. Take the game above, Degz...

Degz might look like an 8-bit game from 1981 to some, and at its core it is exactly that - Scramble. But take a look at it more closely and see what it is actually doing. Take a look at the original arcade game and then take a look at 1980s 8-bit ports of it. Now look back at Degz. We have 100s of colours on screen. We have lots of animated sprites, high colour sprites and decals and a tiled map scroller. We have explosion animations and we also have particle effects. These particle are not bitmaps - they are independently tracked pixels and there are hundreds of them. There's all the same game logic and object movement and interactivity from the original game (mostly) and a lot more besides. This is all stuff the Jaguar excels at, all the kinds of things you can ask of a Jaguar time and again and it'll happily perform. That's the very reason we like working on the platform. Yes, the hardware is 12 years newer that the 1981 Konami arcade board - but then it's also a low-cost home system vs. a coin-munching arcade machine :P

As for improved versions of Scramble - you can see this reboot on xbox 360:

No, that doesn't 'push the limits' of the 360 either and if truth be told it isn't doing much more than the Jaguar is above and the Jaguar could certainly be made to closer approximate what you see there, but that's not the point of this game, Degz or the vast majority of games created outside those created in order to obtain money from the people who have it, same with any other commodity. If someone can't see past the value of a game in its own right, irrespective of platform or what amazing technical feats it is attempting to drop your jaw with, that's a very sad situation, but each to their own. For many of us, games are there to be enjoyed both in creation and for users. They are not simply there to extol the prowess of a platform... coders who set out to do this invariably end up creating tech demos with half-arsed games bolted to them that look "wow" :love: in videos and play"meh" 8| in the real world. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, but they are just that - rare exceptions. The Jaguar design is over 20 years old. It does some things good, it makes other things more difficult, and some things it will have you pulling your hair out and lost in a world of hurt trying to achieve. We're not into self-harm - we make game for the fun of making them, the fun of enjoying them with our friends and families, and for the guys out there who love the same things as us :D

If 'retro remakes' and the like leave you cold, by all means, enjoy tech demos on youtube - unfortunately that's all you are likely to ever enjoy of such projects. For some people, they'd rather see the Jaguar perform these technical feats in a 2 minute youtube film vs. having a dozen real games in their hands that they can sit and enjoy for many hours. Again, it's each to their own. If you don't like retro remakes, it's probably best to never look at, download or attempt to play anything from Reboot, U-235 or the rest of Jagware, you'll only be disappointed. But if you understand the nature of game creation, both on a technical and creative level, feel free to enjoy our games, they are there to take freely - always will be :D

</sermon> 8o
    • CD-i schrieb:

@Life

Gab alle als cd Version zu kaufen. Halt nur exklusiv auf dem jagfest. Lohnt sich also zu kommen :)

:( Ja, ich versuche es dies Jahr dann mal wieder. :D

@sh3-rg

Thanks a lot for the additional info.
      And belive us, we'll enjoy all of your games. :)
      Will there this time a cd or cart release instead download and burn? Like on the €-Jag Fest?
    • @sh3-rg , Thanks for the Scramble Port on the Jaguar, i am grew up in the 80 and play all this games
      on the original arcade machiines. I like the reboot idea to transfer this Game to the Jaguar.
      Please dont forget the rebooteroids Game ;)
    • Hey Kev, no one here in this thread was disappointed with the game so far, it's just what it is: a remake of Scramble, showing possibilities of Raptor. It's like you said: Mostly homebrews will be judged on their graphics / technical achievements (e.g. Sturmwind). But honestly I too prefer fun over graphics. But i think to get attention for your game, it's much easier to get if you show impressive graphics, especially 3D on retro systems. Eye candy always works. But a nice game idea could draw attention too, as you experienced with Downfall.

And you know as well: Most Jag fans are collectors first, gamers second. Make an impressive tech demo game with dull gameplay, release it as cart with manual and box and you'll ear much more fame as with free 2d DL titles. That's the way it always works on retro systems...

As you know I like Superfly very much, but missed something to explore and achieve in downfall and Kobayashi Maru. These were too simplistic for my taste, Superfly fits perfectly for me in regards of deep gameplay, nice 2D gfx and some levels to explore.
      "I'm Special Agent Francis York Morgan, but please call me York, that's what everyone does..."

{O,o}
      /)__)
      --"-"--
      uhu.webcam.pixtura.de/ Eulen-Live Cam!

youtube.com/oxcellent Meine Retro-Video-Reviews
    • CD-i schrieb:

Hey Kev, no one here in this thread was disappointed with the game so far, it's just what it is: a remake of Scramble, showing possibilities of Raptor. It's like you said: Mostly homebrews will be judged on their graphics / technical achievements (e.g. Sturmwind). But honestly I too prefer fun over graphics. But i think to get attention for your game, it's much easier to get if you show impressive graphics, especially 3D on retro systems. Eye candy always works. But a nice game idea could draw attention too, as you experienced with Downfall.And you know as well: Most Jag fans are collectors first, gamers second. Make an impressive tech demo game with dull gameplay, release it as cart with manual and box and you'll ear much more fame as with free 2d DL titles. That's the way it always works on retro systems...As you know I like Superfly very much, but missed something to explore and achieve in downfall and Kobayashi Maru. These were too simplistic for my taste, Superfly fits perfectly for me in regards of deep gameplay, nice 2D gfx and some levels to explore.

Im Not 100 % agree with Cd-i , but it is the true, for my self i can say: im more a gamer than a collector
      And i Hope that reboot Stay True to oneself ;)
    • Kevin, don't be mad because I sid the game does not look very impessive. You basically said it yourself that it does not. It's just an observation.

I am in the homebrew scene myself; doing graphics. So I am definitly not someone who has no idea of game development, the work needed and what to expect from a homebrew.
      But seeing my background and my hobby you can probably tell that for me great graphics are always a goal. They are where I can help with in game development.

I don't mind Reboot games being simple and fun, and I don't mind them being 2D; all I do is 2D as well. But while fun gameplay is still the most important thing, I absolutely believe that nice visuals can add a LOT to any game (as can great music).

I just look at Degz and I see that it basically duplicates the visual style of the original; more colors or not, beside the frame there is not that much more detail in the graphics. The sprites look much better, but you decided to go with the flat background look of the hills and sky from the original.

Again, that's fine, and it may even be a conscious decision to pay homage to the original with this look. But for me as a graphics guy I Iook at it and don't find it visually appealing. This has nothing to do with pushing the Jaguar to its limits, the hardware would have no problems doing much better graphics without breaking a sweat.

The Xbox 360 version is a good example; besides the HD res the game looks so simplistic that save for a color reduction you could easily do it on the Genesis, and it would be regarded as a lower quality title visually still. Yet still they tried to add a little, like the texture on the rocks. Again, it may have been a conscious decision by you to go for such an oldschool look, but for me the Xbox 360 version with the little enhancement in detail still looks better. You may have 100s of colors on screen, but as I said pushing the hardware is not the point, and for my taste you could get more beautiful results even with only 32 colors. Better to have 32 colors wisely used to get the best out of the limitation than to have several 100s that still don't make the game look as good as any 16-bit-title.

This is absolutely not a tech issue, but just my opinion on the quality I see. And I must be allowed to say that, it's not mean spirited. You may remember me, I even reported on some of your games for a print magazine, despite minimalistic visuals, I promoted them.

I will post some of my graphics below, one for the Genesis and the others for the Lynx (mostly conceptual mock ups, some real games).
      I know I am not the best pixel artist in the world, not even close, but I know that a game gains a great deal from good graphics, and I always try my best to get them as good as possible. I am involved in five Lynx project at the moment, and I honestly believe that they will be better because of my contributions.

I absolutely agree that gameplay comes first, but please don't dismiss the graphics so easily. They are also integral to the medium of video games; the audiovisual exerience the graphics can provide must not be underestimated.

Bluntman3000: "bin in mpnchtennünchrn"